Saturday, February 7, 2009

Scooby Doo and the Goblin King ** 1/2 stars


Pat: (0 stars) That's the worst movie I've ever seen--an abuse of Scooby Doo legacy. Was it ever going to end? Atrocious. (I'm sugar coating that.) But James was on my lap and seemed to love it, so I hung in there. I did fall asleep from sheer boredom.

Mama: This movie was unwatchable.
I'm not a purist, and I actually like updates, often more than the original. In fact, I love the new 1991 Scooby Doo series. It's clever and self-referential, with cultural commentary and catchy pop songs during the chase scenes--really enjoyable stuff. However this shameful excuse for a movie, created in 2008, and chock full of big names including Hayden Panatierre, Jay Leno and even Lauren Bacall, was the worst family night movie we've come across so far. Why did Casy Kasem, the voice of Shaggy for 38 years, agree to this script? If he had opted out, it never would have been green lit. I should have known when there was a fairy on the cover of the DVD case. What offended me to the core about this movie was the way it broke the rules of the Scooby Doo universe, whose bible demands that all ghosts, demons and abominable snow men are revealed to be hypnotist con-men in costume, misguided scientists with out-of-control robots or greedy employees with holographic machines.

This is how I dealt with it. I watched my kids watch the movie.
I remember when they were infants, how I used to just stare at them. We called it baby TV. They were so adorable and fascinating, such strange little creatures, that I could just watch them with rapt attention. So tonight, I watched Jupiter with her perfect profile, sit on Adam's lap in her glow-in-the dark dinosaur pajamas. Justice, though squirmy let me scoop her bangs to one side. And James in his bathrobe, the whole heap of him, sprawled out on Grandma Pat's lap, the TV's light flickering in his eyes.

James: Trillion Stars (*****) It was one of the best Scooby Doo movies I've ever seen. I like it because it is so cool. My favorite, favorite, favorite part? Well, there's a part when Scooby and Shaggy are locked up in the castle, and there was this guy who was locked up in the dungeon. That was funny. I liked the headless horseman, and his horse and I loved the part when they stole that thingy from the goblin king and he used magic to get it back. THere was a part that was so funny, and it was when they traded the fairy for the goblin sceptre. And the guy who had the goblin scepter turned the goblin king into a goose and a goblin king but a bit scarier. I loved the skull train part. And when Jack the jackolantern had his candle burn down so he got killed.

Jupiter: 81 stars (*****) Hmm. I liked when Scooby Doo was bobbing for apples, and he came up with a mouth full of apples. Hmm. It was funny when Scooby Doo jumped down Shaggy's shirt and pretended to be a werewolf. I liked the fairy, but not the girl with snakes for hair--scary! It was funny when Scooby Doo and Shaggy were locked up in the dungeon and they talked and chatted and the fairies came and helped them and Scooby Doo and Shaggy came and thanked them and hugged them and the skeleton was like, "Thanks a lot."

No comments: