Friday, November 7, 2008

Nim's Island (Guest Critic: Grandma Pat) ***1/2

James: *** I liked when she was climbing the volcano and when she came down when she got off the volcano, she was really bloody. And I liked when her dad almost sunk. And when she pretended the volcano was erupting but she was really setting a fire in it, and that scared everyone away from the island. And when her Mom almost sunk.

Jupiter: ***I liked the girl's lizard. And I liked her seal. And I liked her. I liked her hair.

Justice: I liked when the girl climbed the volcano. (James reported Justice to have fallen asleep during most of it. Jupiter says, "I tilted Justy's head on me for a pillow.")

Pat: ****I liked this movie. I thought it had elements for both adults and kids. I liked the artistic way they handled losing Mama. It was non-threatening for children, I thought. The mother's boat gets swallowed by the whale, but in such a way--this cartoon thing on the waves--that it minimizes the impact for children. I felt Jodie Foster was fabulous as a super agorophobic and how her primary relationship was with her super-hero character who was an Indiana Jones kind, an adventurer. (I also liked the fact that they had wireless internet on the island!) I thought there was a good mix of people in jeopardy but it wasn't too scary for children. Adults could really appreciate some of the performances. I thought little Abigail was adorable and I think she portrayed an incrediably self-sufficient little heroine. She did all of this incredible self-defense stuff against the pirate ship. When her dad got lost at sea she took care of practically everything. I also liked her magical relationship with creatures, the lizard the bird and the seal. It was fun, I enjoyed it. I'd even watch it again. (Justice fell asleep almost immediately and Jupey soon thereafter. James and I made it to the end.) Four stars.

No comments: