Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Pink Panther 2


Spoilers ahead.
James: (age 6 1/2) *****
I think the funniest part was when Inspect Clouseau's gaurd told Inspector Clouseau not to beat up children and call them piglets.
Jupiter: (age 5) *****Pink Panther stars. The funniest part was the man in the tutu.
Justice: (age 3) "Mommy you know how many stars I give it?" She ticks of four fingers. ****

Mama: 5 stars*****
Okay, so this was the funniest comedy I've seen in a while. I was instantly laughing hysterically at Steve Martin's slapstick, as Inspector Clouseau tried to give a parking ticket to a man who proceeds to put his windshield wipers on. Jupiter may have been infected by my hilarity, but she was laughing almost as hard. The plot is the most basic of heist plots, and it only needed a little bit of explaining to the kids at the end of the movie. "Mama, was the girl in the red dress the Tornado?" Jupiter asked.
"No honey, she was pretending to be the Tornado, stealing the diamond, then making it look like the Tornado did it."
"Ohhhh! I get it," James said.
Anyway, who really needs much of a plot in a movie like this--so long as it's full of Steve Martin's sight gags. The supporting cast was delightful. The whole movie was a romp. On Netflix everyone gave it fewer stars than the original The Pink Panther. I give it more.

Adam: *****I haven't heard my old lady laugh that hard in a long time. Not since a Jackie Chan movie when we lived in Mountain View. It was more nimble than the first one and they let John Cleese and Steve Martin off the hook. I loved the moment when James was sure he solved it. He was like "I figured it out!" It's such a great premise, really that the biggest bumbling detective in the world is also a great detective. A little bit of hubris and arrogance, when he acts like he's better than other people Clouseau's really sweet. The bad accents were so funny. Clouseau was a little less puritanical, and you could tell he did have a libido. He's way more funny that way, if he actually does have desires. That opening sight gag, with about giving a ticket to the guy who turns his windsheild wipers on was really good.

No comments: